Power strips, surge protectors and keeping you safe


Almost everyone works with power strips in their home. With so many modern appliances, tools and gadgets – we all need power and protecting them means a lot – whether it’s for enjoyment or if our productivity depends on it.

Because of this, it’s important that you understand the dos and don’ts of using a power strip and why these things are important. While we know that you understand how to use a power strip (it’s plug and play, after all) – there are a lot of things people don’t know about them – and that’s what we’re here to explain today. Here are some things we want you to keep in mind when you use a power strip.

Surge protectors are designed to handle multiple small loads

Power strips exist so that you can power multiple devices at the same time. That being said – they do have their limitations and it’s important to ensure that you don’t use them for major appliances like space heaters and power tools. Surge protectors have their uses – but one of those is not for heavy duty asks.

Know your voltage ratings

Pick a strip that meets your needs. Strips come with all sorts of power thresholds and as such, it’s important that you make sure that the power needs of a particular area don’t exceed that which the strip can handle. Doing so can result in damaged appliances and even electrical fires.

Never plug a surge protector into anything other than an outlet

We’ve all seen those safety reels with outlets stacked with 20 plugs and power strips. DO NOT do this under any circumstance as it leaves you wide open for an electrical fire. In addition, do not plug a surge protector into an extension cord or another surge protector. Doing so make your surge protector less stable and less reliable. Doing so is one of the fastest ways to insure that your appliances get damaged

Be wary of extended use

When you plug things into your surge protector, it’s important to understand that you can’t just leave them on for lengthy, extended periods of time. They will have to be shut off from time to time. Surge protectors can overheat and sometimes fail altogether if left on for too long, so be sure you make sure they’re getting a breather now and then.

If you’re looking to make electrical upgrades or have questions about how certain power sources will work with your appliances and devices – give us a call today and we’ll be happy to provide you with a free consultation. Good luck!