Three common electrical problems that you can’t ignore


We all want to feel safe and when it comes to electricity, we want to make sure we’re doubly safe. Home is where we go to relax, recharge and enjoy the company of our families. That being said – every home will encounter some sort of issue related to it’s electrical system and when you encounter those issues – it’s important for you to be prepared.

Part of being prepared – is understanding the warning signs that something might not be right. Here are some warning signs you should be on the lookout for that might indicate that you have a problem with your electrical system. Let’s jump right in!

Flickering lights

Light fixtures don’t need much electricity to operate so when you see them frequently dimming and flickering, you might have an issue with the fixture itself. Usually- this is an indication of circuit overload – which may just be happening when a powerful appliance is sucking power off of a specific circuit. It could also be a problem related to loose connections or frayed wiring. Either way – you need to get this looked at as soon as possible!

Frequent breaker tripping

Circuit breakers serve one primary purpose – and that’s to prevent your circuits from overloading. When there’s potential overheating or too much power coming into a circuit – it shuts things down before an electrical fire starts. When these breakers are tripping frequently – could mean that your circuit is overworked and that you might need a new breaker box. That – or you’re simply using too much power in one section of your home. This is less of a malfunction issue- and more of an upgrade issue.

Noises and odors

If you can hear or smell anything around your fixture, you need to call a pro. Buzzing could mean loose prongs or frayed wiring. When you hear the buzz – shut the fixture off and don’t use it until it’s looked at. If you smell anything, you could have a much more serious issue. Burning odors coming from an outlet could be an indication of a faulty device, or worse yet – a fire. Turn your outlet off immediately and call an electrician right away. Most home fires are caused by something related to your electrical system – so make sure you do the right thing and call a service pro immediately.

If you or a loved one notices any of the above signs or if you suspect that your home may have a deeper electrical malfunction, give us a call today and we’ll be happy to provide you with a free consultation. Until then, keep your eye out for these problems and stay safe. Good luck!